Wednesday, 25 April 2012

Style Inspirations!

Toxic Tears
Keeping things personal with a picture of me from yesterday. Wish I'd gotten a picture of my full outfit.T^T

So, as you may well know, I don't stick to any one style. I can't just be one silly little label, there are so many different styles out there that I like to put in a big bowl, mix around together and throw on myself.:)

Thats not to say my style will represent every single fashion that I like ALL of the time. Sometimes I may look straight up goth, others, I may look about as far from goth as you can get, and everything inbetween. So I thought I would make a post about a few of my favourite styles! So lets begin.:3

Theres quite a lot, so click through and read more




GOTH
Ok, so goth is the blatantly obvious one, so I thought we should get it out of the way first. Goth is of course, is a very broad style, and it would take an eternity to cover in its entirety. I fell in love with goth before I can remember, and somewhere between the ages of 9 and 11, around when I began to get some say in how I dress, I was very much into everything goth (but never dared call myself one for fear of the poser label. See, even at that age I was very aware!) 



The goth subculture is a contemporary subculture found in many countries. It began in England during the early 1980s in the gothic rock scene, an offshoot of the post-punk genre. The goth subculture has survived much longer than others of the same era, and has continued to diversify. Its imagery and cultural proclivities indicate influences from the 19th century Gothic literature along with horror films and to a lesser extent the BDSM culture.[1][2][3]

The goth subculture has associated tastes in music, aesthetics, and fashion. The music of the Goth subculture encompasses a number of different styles including Gothic rock, Deathrock, post-punk, darkwave, Ethereal, and Neoclassical. Styles of dress within the subculture range from deathrock, punk andVictorian style attire, or combinations of the above, most often with dark attire, makeup and hair.


















GYARU
This is one that I've become interested in very recently. Although I would probably never dress 100% Gyaru, I find the entire thing incredibly interesting, and certainly plan on incorporating more elements of it in my own personal style in the future. Like goth, there are different styles of Gyaru. The one I am personally most interested in, is Hime Gyaru. I think its super cute, and I'm trying to read up on it more and more.^_^

Gyaru fashion is a type of Japanese street fashion that originated in the 1970’s.[citation needed]. Gyaru is most commonly referred to as ganguro, but it is actually a subculture of gyaru. It was popular in the 1990’s, but shortly died out in the early 2000's. Gyaru is a girly-glam style, breaking away from traditional standards of beauty. Dwelling on the man-made (wigs, fake eyelashes, fake nails, etc). Gyaru fashion neither fit well with the Japanese traditional culture nor how the media portray ideals of Japanese women. It is often classified as a sign of youth rebellion.

Gyaru fashion is typically characterized by having heavily bleached or dyed hair (mostly shades from dark brown to blonde), excessively decorated nails, and dramatic makeup.

The makeup typically consists of dark eyeliner, fake eyelashes and cosmetic circle lenses so as to create the illusion of large, anime-like eyes. Extremist tend to get vivid color hair wigs, for example, neon pink or lime green.

Clothing pieces for gyaru fashion differ depending on which gyaru style the individual chooses.



DECORA
I've liked Decora for quite some time, and actually unknowingly experimented with it before I even knew it existed. Everything about Decora is over the top. As the name implies, the theme is DECORATE! Throw on as many accessories as you can possibly manage. Its an incredibly fun style, and super cute!
The word 'decora' is simply a shortened version of 'decoration' and is mostly worn by young Japanese teens. It can often be mistaken as FRUiTS-Fashion to those outside Japan, but it's more about creating an aura of childlike playfulness or cuteness with layers, bright colors and kilos of jewelry. Popular items in Decora include Hello Kitty and Pokemon merchandise, bright plastic jewelry, coloured hair clips and bobbles and fuzzy boots. It's not about just throwing things together: A close look at some of the girls shows the huge degree of thought that's been put into their loud attire.




VISUAL KEI

Visual Kei has interested me for a long time, both the music and the aesthetics.:3 Its just so flamboyant and impressive and there are so many variations.>O< I could watch videos of J-rockers all dressed up and being silly for hours~

Visual kei (ヴィジュアル系 bijuaru kei?, lit. "visual style" or "visual system") is a movement among Japanese musicians,[1][2] that is characterized by the use of make-up, elaborate hair styles and flamboyant costumes, often, but not always, coupled with androgynous aesthetics.[3][4] Some sources state that visual kei refers to a music genre, or to a sub-genre of Japanese rock,[5][6] with its own particular sound, related to glam rock, punk rock and heavy metal.[7][8][9][10] However other sources state that visual kei's unique clothing, make-up, fashions, and participation in the related sub-culture is equally as important as the sound of the music itself in the use of the term.





LOLITA

One of my top favourites.>w< Its so cute and girly and frilly and just ahh, love.^_^ This is another style with a lot of variations, my favourites being Sweet Lolita, Gothic Lolita and Classic Lolita.

Lolita fashion (ロリータ・ファッション Rorīta fasshon?) is a fashion subculture originating in Japan that is based on Victorian-era clothing as well as costumes from the Rococo period, but the style has expanded greatly beyond these two.[1] The Lolita look began primarily as one of modesty with a focus on quality in both material and manufacture of garments. The original silhouette is of a knee length skirt or dress with a 'cupcake' shape assisted by petticoats, but has expanded into various types of garments including corsets and floor lengths skirts. Blouses, knee high socks or stockings and headdresses are also worn.[2]Lolita fashion has evolved into several different sub styles and has a subculture that is present in many parts of the world.






I love this video.:3 Shows a little bit of the life of a few Tokyo Lolita girls.^_^


DEATHROCK

I've always had a major fascination with Death Rock fashion. Lots of ripped tights and big ass hair, yes please. I do believe around the ages of 14/15 about 80% of my wardrobe consisted of various pairs of ripped tights. Unfortunately, my own hair has always been faaaar too long to manage a Death Hawk or Bi Hawk. Trust me, I've tried. It didn't work, and if it had of, it would have been extremely impractical..:| DeathRock is more to do with the music than the fashion however, so there is very little written information about the style, but thats ok, I can just spam you with pictures!;D

Deathrock is a term used to identify a sub-genre of punk rock incorporating horror elements and spooky atmospherics, that emerged on the West Coast of the United States in 1979.







That will do for this post I think. There are far more styles, subcultures and other influences that inspire me, but at the moment, these are my top favourites.:) To end, I'll throw in a few more pictures of styles I like, that don't necessarily have their own subculture, or that I haven't really looked into enough to write about (eg. Steam Punk) Sorry if I've put any of these in the "wrong category", I just stuck them where I thought they'd fit, no need for any snooty "thats not goth" messages.:P










Bye lovelies!^_^

7 comments:

  1. most of these styles inspires my daily outfits too,mostly gothic and decora :) love DJ sisen

    ReplyDelete
  2. i also am guilty of mixing styles all the time and thank you, some of those pretty pics i havent seen before :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that was great!!! Thankyou for posting that! was quite interesting!....so what would I come under?? hahah ;3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure!:O Maybe you're like me and just mix a bunch of random stuff together.^_^

      Delete
  4. I love this post! <3 I myself love almost all above, and have been thinking about trying to combine goth and Decora into an outfit. Visual Kei in fact doesn't interest me that much, and Gothic Lolita is my favourite from all.

    I thought you'd like to know (if you didn't notice) that some of those Decora pictures seem more like Fairy Kei to me. Especially this one: http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/108/8/e/Fairy_Decora_by_BambiBang.jpg
    But I'm no expert. They overlap a lot.

    I think it's much fun to lurk around different blogs and forums, I equally love the cutesy ones and the dark ones. But I also find it hard to combine these different sides of me. Recently I've been interested in Kerli and Bubblegoth, she seems to pick the things that suit her from the pink and cute and from the dark and theatrical. I myself need more courage to wear my sweetest frills when I feel like it. And I'm surprised I haven't found your blog before. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a gorgeous collection of photos. i love a lot of these styles too <3

    ReplyDelete